Thursday, May 8, 2008

Emory Week 1: Atlanta Week 2 (almost)


This week ends my first week at Emory and almost 2 weeks in Atlanta. Today I experienced my first "real" traffic jam in Atlanta. A wreck completely closed down 8 lanes of traffic on 285, the main loop around the city. I was right in the middle of it and an hour later, pulled into my drive. Last night was marred with me locking myself out of the townhouse, barefooted, no phone! I finally found a neighbor home who was able to break into the house for me. I'm feeling really secure. I trust Buddy won't let anyone get to me. Today was my first day at one of the three cardiology clinics where I'll manage the clinical side of the practice. I've got my work cut out for me!! For my nurse friends, let me just tell you that I found a urine specimen in the med fridge, the insulin had been expired for months, no dates on open meds, the crash cart unchecked in one year in the back hall, and my first request, please order the aminophylin that had an expiration date of 7/07!!! I'll be taking all those seemingly silly JACHO standards we applied at ACH and putting them to use at the Dekalb Emory Clinic. The Dekalb Clinic is in Decatur, a quaint community within Atlanta. Yesterday I was in downtown Decatur during my lunch hour. The courthouse has a wonderful shopping district with live music during the lunch hour on Wednesdays and Saturday's. I'm going to head back down there this weekend for dinner and listen to music. There are some super neat art galleries in the area and other unique shops that are standout kind of places. I did buy an "ecofriendly" purse in one shop. The owner reassured me that it was not made with any animal byproducts! I guess you could say it is a "vegan" purse. I just really liked the style and color.


I continue to trust God in this part of my journey. I know that someday, this will all make sense! Thanks for keeping up with me!

No comments: